Did you know that in the UK alone, an estimated 2 in 5 households have to choose between heating and eating? According to the government statistics, over 4.2 million people are living in food poverty. This means nearly one in 10 children are unsure of where their next meal will come from.
Families on low income are being hard hit by the increased cost of living, a crisis which has left families looking for all the help there is. In the last year, it is estimated that over 1 in 10 households used Food banks. A third of the people in these households are children. The same challenge faces our veterans who have been found to be fiercely independent and would often go hungry, rather than use regular food banks and to seek help from available avenues. These situations draw us to a rather sad revelation of our times, but also the daily realities we are faced with. Collectively, we believe we can help play a part in fighting this.
For this very reason, Greg from Unihousing along with a team from Property Entrepreneurs Community, are choosing to fundraise for disadvantaged children and UK veterans in the Hike Against Hunger. The fundraising campaign will involve multiple challenges for the MIND, BODY and SOUL. All these challenges are aimed at raising awareness and funds totalling to £127,264 over a period of 12 weeks. With your help, they shall have raised a combined total of £500,000 over a period of 4 years. Thank you for your previous support.
Some of the challenges they are undertaking include;
• A fire walk across hot coals; ouch!
• Hikes at Summit Snowdon (13 miles, 3,500 ft elevation), The Yorkshire 3 Peaks (12 hours, 23 miles, 5,000ft elevation), The National 3 peaks (24 hours, 24 miles, 10,000ft total elevation).
• Volunteering at The Trussell Trust, local food banks and at other community good causes.
All proceeds from this cause will go to two incredible charities
• Magic breakfast, an organisation that provides breakfasts to disadvantaged children and children at risk of hunger in schools across the UK. They believe that Hunger should never be a barrier to education for any child.
• Tri-Services Veterans Support Centre: A Stoke based veteran run charity, for Veterans. They provide mental health support services and meals to suffer from mental health problems and meals to the ex-members of our Forces.
Please consider supporting them to reach the target. All donations are hugely welcome.
Looking for Student Accommodation? Unihousing Can Help!
Unihousing is a student accommodation provider near the University of Birmingham, operating since 1984. All of our accommodation in Selly Oak is owned by us, so we can respond quickly to any requests using our qualified team of tradesmen. Our property office is located on Bristol Road, only a short walk away from all of our accommodation. This means we can deal directly with our tenants.
Unhousing was selected as the Number 1 Student Letting Agent in Birmingham by the UK's biggest fresher community, Unifresher.